Thoughts on Judaism

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Sons of Avraham? Daughters of Sarah?

To test the idea that we have the traits of Avraham and Sarah, I decided to play a little impromptu role game with the Rebeltzin. (No, the kids can keep reading.)

From Rashi, we have an interesting case scenario. So I asked the Rebeltzin if she would like to join me on a trip to a hostile country that is full of crime, and is run by totalitarian dictatorship (perhaps Egypt, under military junta). It is imperative that the people in that country (especially the women) and its leaders be abnormally ugly. The Rebeltzin is always up for a challenge, so she is in. I explained to her that, since it is dangerous, and there is a good chance they won't like Jews, especially if we have a few bucks and appear powerful, that they will want to kill me. However, if she pretends to be my sister, instead of my wife, they will take her captive and (at least) sexually molest her and allow me to live. (Were they to know she was married to me, they would probably just kill me and take her captive anyway, they have their standards of morality after all.)

She was not reacting as positively as I had hoped. Where was the adventurous woman that I once knew? Anyway, I sweetened the pot, as it were. I also told her that, if she follows through with this plan, the wealthy leaders of the country will probably give me many gifts and make me much more wealthy than I already am. At this point, she stomped out angry for some reason. If I live to be 100 years old, I will never understand women! Fortunately, the couch is really comfy. However, next year, maybe I will suggest going back to Charan to visit the family.

2 Comments:

  • Please see Malbim on the episode. In brief, as Sarah's "brother", Avraham had the right to sell her. He priced her out of the market, and thereby intended to keep her safe. However, "they praised her to Pharaoh", who paid the price (as described in the subsequent verses).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM  

  • Very good. Is there going to be an Akeidas Yitzhak episode in this series?

    -OSM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home