Thoughts on Judaism

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Jerusalem Compass

UPDATED:

On the Observant Astonomer site, someone claiming to be "Moshe", the creator of the miracle device, and Zev, an interested customer, go head to head. Others of us also chime in. Moshe tries some evasion like appealing to the authority of his haskamas and accusing his questioners of malintent, both common ploys. He still has not explained how the device "defies the laws of physics".

Observant Astronomergets to the bottom of this quickly. For a mere 25 bucks, you can get an amazing compass that points toward Jerusalem, provided you are west of Jerusalem and you do not believe that the Earth is round. OA even asks if it can altered for Mecca. I would only respond that naturally Mecca and Rome do not give off the magic holiness rays that allow this amazing device to function. (Observer notes that some calibration of the device may be needed. He still cannot find the magic part.)

I think this guy wants a piece of the action too. Anyone who can make this compass perform as advertised, hey, $25 investment for a sure $1 million payoff.

And of course the obligatory Chabad version.

I knew I was in the wrong business. GET YOUR RED STRING HERE! PIPING HOT RED STRING!!

1 Comments:

  • I found this on another blog. I guess some people like to talk on things, even when they are lacking information.

    IS IT WORTH IT?

    I can actually see a use for this item, and it seems well-made,and because it is a handsome product, I'm keeping it.

    You'll have to decide for yourself whether you need one, though. Unless you're hopeless when it comes to directions, and live in the middle of Los Angeles and cannot see any landmarks because of the haze, you might just be better off occassionally consulting a regular compass, and figguring out which way to Yerushalayim by yourself.


    It has the added advantage that you can also show your Muslim friends which way to turn. From this distance its the same direction to Mecca. Hotdog.



    --- --- --- --- ---

    3 Comments:
    At 3:42 AM, Anonymous said…

    I also bought one, and I also agree that it is attractive and well-made. It really is a nice gift.
    I personally never really believed that it "defied the laws of nature", but, it truly does appear to "defy the laws of nature"
    In every sense, it looks like a high quality decorative brass compass, that is pointing in the direction of Jeruslaem.
    Since I live in the U.S. I don't really need to do any adjustments.
    I too am keeping mine.


    At 4:51 PM, Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said…

    Wow, that's pretty cool.


    At 7:15 PM, Anonymous said…

    I would buy it. Great gift

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home