Thoughts on Judaism

Sunday, December 31, 2006

OK I admit it

OK I admit that I am a kofer. Here are some of the ikkarim that I do not believe (with perfect faith):

1) I do not believe that the Baal Shem Tov learned with Achiya HaShiloni.
2) I do not believe that Rav Yehuda Lowy (Maharal) created a Golem with kabalah formulae.
3) I do not believe that, if a woman walks over cut fingernails, she will miscarry.
4) I do not believe that demons haunt the first drop of liquid in a bottle.
5) I do not believe that lice reproduce spontaneously.
6) I do not believe that lava flows from the global flood interfere with scientific dating methods.
7) I do not believe that if a gadol baTorah paskens, that his psak will change physical reality.
8) I do not believe that sages are infallible nor that they could have invented airplanes.
9) I do not believe that people in Monsey heard a talking fish nor that people in yeshalayim met a prophetic dog.
10 ) I do not believe that anything bad will happen to anyone if you do not say "bli ayin hara" after admiring someone's good fortune.
11) I do not believe that people who keep deep chumras are any more religious or holy than people who do not.
12) I do not believe that the Ari Zal conversed with animals and plants.
13) I do not believe that if we conform to modern ideas in science and ethics, we are somehow worse off.

But I do believe with perfect faith in the coming of the Messiah. And the sooner the better. I am hungry!

6 Comments:

  • What a beautiful entry to end the year. May 2007 be a year full of people finally believing in real torah and Judaism and abandoning these superstitions which you have stated. It is unlikely to happen, but we can always dream. Then again, there is always mashiach.

    Shana Tova

    By Blogger Ittay, at 8:53 PM  

  • we can start a kofer klub ;-)


    (word verification: "qofruihr"!)

    By Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg), at 2:10 PM  

  • "4) I do not believe that demons haunt the first drop of liquid in a bottle."

    OK, I am fascinated, because this is not one I've heard before in a Jewish context. However, there is an Irish tradition that the first moonshine out of the still must be given to the Little Folk. I've further heard that the first liquid out out is normally high in fusil oil, which will blind you--hence, getting rid of those first drops an excellent idea.

    IN-teresting.

    By Blogger BBJ, at 3:48 PM  

  • BBJ

    This is from a gemorra in M Chulin, I believe, a group of customs for which demons are the reason, proposed by the sage, Abaya.

    In the first drop of water from a bottle, I would expect, not fusil oil, but water. Then, again, why listen to a kofer?

    By Blogger Rebeljew, at 12:02 AM  

  • heritik it would have bean better that you were not born

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:11 PM  

  • Part of הלכות עבודה זרה וחקות הגוים ברמב"ם פרק י"א הל' [כ] (טז) : ודברים אלו כולן דברי שקר וכזב הן, והן שהטעו בהן עובדי עבודה זרה הקדמונים לגויי הארצות כדי שינהו אחריהן. ואין ראוי לישראל שהם חכמים מחוכמים להמשך בהבלים האלו, ולא להעלות על הלב שיש בהן תעלה, שנאמר כי לא נחש ביעקב ולא קסם בישראל (במדבר כג כג). ונאמר כי הגוים האלה אשר אתה יורש אותם אל מעוננים ואל קוסמים ישמעו ואתה לא כן נתן לך ה' אלהיך (דברים יח י
    .(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home